jeudi 13 octobre 2016

What the recent surge of accounts by women of Donald Trump's groping means to me




When reading about all the different women who have come forward with their stories--or testimony--of sexual groping and unwanted physical attack, I am struck by one thing:

They did not say or do anything at the time, though in a state of shock, pain, and confusion because they felt they would not be believed.

As a person of color, I have been repeatedly verbally and physically abused--not by primarily Caucasians (although that has happened) but by African-Americans (as opposed to African immigrants) in the United States.

And the reason I have not "reported" these attacks--other than mostly on these blogs--is because I am afraid of the consequences:  people blaming or not believing me.

Europeans seem to be quite naive about race relations in the U.S., falling into an idealization of African-Americans that does not correspond to the reality (of dysfunctional and destructive behaviors).

Throughout my life I have African-Americans use language quite similar to Donald Trump's (Access Hollywood)..."foul" and/or lewd and/or aggressive language.

Minorities should not "get a break" just because they are minorities.

# # # # #





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire