jeudi 16 juillet 2015

One step further





How did Daniel survive?





There was an engraving of "Daniel in the Lions' Den" in the early 20th century house that I grew up on Seattle's Capitol Hill.  It gave me nightmares as a child.  I would practically shriek with terror just thinking on it.  Unfortunately my parents gave it away, and now I have only the memory.  (It was the Gustave Dore work reproduced above).

* * * * *

I really thought she was a decent human being.  I really thought so.   What a disaterous mistake that was.

In any case, she should be able to unite her enemies, I believe.  Some one with her personality has no business in any leadership role in the YMCA, something if I had the time I would press the national organization to do something about.

She can't do anything (more) to me, which is why I can openly contemptuous of her and encourage others to come forward and, if not press charges to have her removed, at least discuss among themselves ways to keep her from harming others.  

There has to be a way.  She is not omnipotent.  Just very shrewd, in the vulgar sense.  A power animal, that's all.

And, as I've stated before, she is certainly not prepossesssing in any other way, e.g., cultured or well educated.  Which is perhaps useful and all very well and good if you want to bring the downtown YMCA down to the lowest common denominator, as certainly seems to be the case.

During the past 13 years when I was a member, directors came and went, sometimes in a matter of a a few months.  The point is that they do get removed themselves, or leave, which amounts to the same thing, probably for a variety of reasons.  

None was anything like Cynthia Klever, so morally objectionable, in my opinion, I mean, once you really got to know who she was... It's important to have people in leadership roles at the YMCA who can draw a line between what is morally acceptable and what is not.


...Past appearances, of which she is clearly a master.

No, she is not a credit to the YMCA, I could vouch for that on a stack of Bibles.  As to whether anyone would believe me at this point, of course, is an open question mark. 
But if, for example, enough members voiced objection to the way she was handling matters--and I do think that her introduction of storage lockers of all shapes, sizes, and varieties on all floors open to the public indicates a glaring weakness in how she has managed things.

No one should have to be scared that they have thoughts like "She made mince-meat out of me. I've seen how she makes mince-meat out of others, too,"  Eventually, it becomes an open "secret" if enough people start, at least, to whisper it out loud to others rather than to keep it bottled up inside. The pressure, naturally, builds and builds.

You have a right to think what you think, to disagree with other people.  People can try to pressure you to think that you should be thinking a certain way, but in the end you choose to go along or to not, depending on whether you really believe in them.  If you've stopped believing in them, you'll doubt whatever they say, even if they are "right."

In other words, they've lose their credibility once they've broken that invisible bond of trust between people, without which cooperation is very difficult.

People I've spoken to have already alluded to her singular way of "managing people," without going into detail, of course.

As far as I can tell, the middle class has been abandoning the downtown YMCA in droves to be replaced by a large number of people who are clearly down and out at the heels.  When I first became a member in 2002, the percentage of such people was probably around 10%-15%, whereas now I would think that the number of peopler receiving financial aid must be around 50%.

Word got around that anyone could join the YMCA and get financial aid.
Steadily the rank and file of the downtown YMCA left, even though the professional people would still use it during the noon hour.    In the evening, they don't generally.


I was one of the very people there who had been a member since the remodel in 2002 (and actually before), so I have seen the changes with my very own eyes.


"I don't like being harassed [at work]  I don't know how much longer I'll be here."
in confidentiality from current employee of the downtown Seattle YMCA, July 17, 2015


Wouldn't we all like to say, "Just drop the bullshit"?

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS

Have confidence in them.  They are yours, much as some would pretend that not to the case and/or pretend that you simply don't have such rights.


EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS.

It does no good to know your rights if you don't actually put them into practice.


Never agree to an in-face meeting, even if it appears just to be "a friendly chat" about something vaguely important.

I'm talking in particular about the YMCA.

Communication between you and the organization should be done only in writing by either email or letter.

You are not being subpoened by a judge.  They do not have the legal power or the ethical grounds to obligate you to meet with them.

Supposed complaints need to be corroborated by witnesses, not just accepted at face value (I am not certain if the complainants were fictive or real in my case).  Cynthia Klever in my opinion is a highly unscrupulous person with a penchant for being able to bend the truth and say things that are deceptive and mean-spirited--whatever the situation "calls" for it.

I only really the name of one director before her that I had any contact--Kyle.  And Kyle was honest, nothing hypocritical or duplicitous about him.

And when the situation "calls" for it--which is most of the time--she will be all grins, laughter, and fun.  It is to benefit her to do so, to wrap someone around her little finger.

This is what I call untrustworthy.

But most people will never even scratch the surface with her.  And think her "such a nice person" simply because they don't really know.

I made that mistake, I didn't know.  But I thought I did.

And so I bungled things.

You don't have to.

Don't you do it.  Don't let them do it to you.







Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire