lundi 13 juillet 2015

To a friend




Part of an email to a friend today 7/13/15:

"The director seemed to know that eventually under her interrogation I would lose my cool and finally shouted "membership put on hold for month!," to which I let out several expletives.  To which she in a split second yelled, "Membership terminated!  Sarah, have him get his things and leave."   It was as if she had had it all rehearsed before.  And had done it a dozen times so that it was second nature and didn't have to think about it at all.  It seems so strange in retrospect.

I felt like a criminal and was in such a daze that I forgot to lock my locker when I went to take a shower (I was 'given permission to' by Sarah; another staff member accompanied me to the shower and stood next to me waiting the whole time while I dressed until I left the building).

I can't understand why they felt "they" (which cabal at the Y) had to do this.  She really aggressively interrogated me, chewing gum practically in my face and towards the end didn't  started jumping all over with me with accusations and blame.  She said things in a particularly nasty tone of voice.  No, she wasn't all bubbly, laughter, and smiles, as she usually comes across.  That's part of why I was in a state of shock and disbelief.  

They can get away with it, but that kind of treatment, I think, produces really bad feelings that will last a very long time.  And people don't forget."  

It seems so unnecessary to treat people they know as miscreants or criminals.

They will tell others, "There was this (really awful) young woman at the Y who kicked me out...She was a real bitch although she laughed a lot and seemed nice enough.  I don't think I've ever been treated more unfairly in my life....  The place was really badly run, and the some of the lifeguards were lazy brats (Emery was the name of one of them, I think; Chris; they were a coterie, openly made fun of swimmers, etc.).    

It was also extremely offensive for someone her age to be barking orders to somone old enough to be her parent.  They kept saying, 'What difference does it make what age you are?'  I couldn't explain it it to them in a dozen words or less, which is about all the time they left me.

I felt violated in some fundamental way.  I think when you lie about another person you violate that person's integrity.  That's it. That's what bothering me perhaps the most.

And that's what they mean by treating people with 'respect' and 'caring'?   I was practically in tears but you know I don't cry, so I got angry instead...and am almost glad I let out a string of expletives.  That horrible woman deserved them all.

I would never consider giving money to the YMCA or encourage my friends to."






  



















Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire